Thursday, December 17, 2009

OK, now for the beer part...

I've been homebrewing for close to twenty years now.  I've bought all-grain kits from a number of stores, but the only one that I've seen 'open source' their kits is Northern Brewer (http://www.northernbrewer.com).  Click on any of their all-grain kits, and you'll see a 'Kit Inventory Sheet', which tells you precisely what's in the kit.  For instance, last week I did their Scottish 80.   If you go here:


http://legacy.northernbrewer.com/docs/kis-html/1153.html

you get exact ingredients, recommended yeast, times and temperatures, etc.

Talk about 'free, as in beer'!

I added 2 oz. peated malt I had hanging around, just to give it a slight smoky flavor.

Note the extremely high mash temperature - 158 degrees.  Remember, 'MALT' - More Alcohol, Lower Temperature.  This should produce a beer with a huge malty flavor, exactly what you want in a Scottish.  I used the Wyeast 1728, and we'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment